Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"

Article about: This has been on exhibit at the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum, it went down in 1947 flying as part of the 10th Rescue Squadron Stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base. The Pilot reported eng

?

Default 1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"

This has been on exhibit at the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum, it went down in 1947 flying as part of the 10th Rescue Squadron Stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base. The Pilot reported engine failures and it made an emergency landing at Dago Lake in the Alaskan Peninsula. The crew had no injuries, the plane had some minor hull damage. They tried to repair the engines, however they had issues transporting the engine to the lake, and it was lost in the lake. They also tried to ferry it back, but that also didn't work, and ended up damaging some Noorduyn Norseman aircraft. The government finally sold the plane for a grand totally of $58.00 in 1948, most of the components were then sold for parts to Alaska Coastal Ellis Airlines. It then sat there until 1984 when it finally was returned to Anchorage, it was carried by a US Army CH-54 Skycrane helicopter. There have been discussion on repairing the restoring the PBY, but the price is very steep!!! It is estimated to cost $5,000,000, personally I like it just the way it is I love this plane, PBY's did thousands of dangerous and risky mission during world war two, which resulted in the loss of many fine serviceman and planes. They are very respected very much so in Alaska, having served in the Aleutian war and rescue mission. I went to the museum the other day and decided I would post her. Here she is:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"   1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"  

1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"   1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"  

1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"   1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"  

1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"  
    Last edited by AKbear; 08-12-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Default Re: 1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"

Nice bird. It looks as if someone took an axe to the insignia on the fuselage either to just vandalize or hoping to get some scrap aluminum. I remember when there were still good flying PBY's going from Long Beach or San Pedro, CA to Catalina Island as civilian passenger carriers.

George

?

Quote by tampalam View Post
    Nice bird. It looks as if someone took an axe to the insignia on the fuselage either to just vandalize or hoping to get some scrap aluminum.
    George
    Yeah I guess while it was out there on the lake, someone, I am assuming locals, took an axe to get some fuel.

I watched a show on these today, it was on the military channel, oh man I forgot how many years they served, but it was a long time. they saved a lot of lives.

Great photos. I love the faded Air Force insignia, yet the underside markings are still really clear having been protected a bit from the elements. I agree, she does have a charm of her own as she is.

Cheers, Ade.

Great story and photos AK, thanks for your efforts. This is the kind of stuff I would never get to see, if it wasn't for this forum.

Jay

?

I finally found the Pictures of her being flown home!!! Hope you enjoy, it is pretty amazing!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1943 PBY 5A Catalina "The Ghost of Dago Lake"  

wow, great photo. those black cats really have a look about them, even in this condition. thanks for posting!

Regards,
    Finn

I always wonmdered what had happened to this aircraft after reading about her recovery all those years ago.. Looks in pretty good ocndition but needs some work. I would not go as far as restoring her fully but to see her carefully restored to how she would have looked when she crashed as in more ocmplete would be best.

upir z feratu
    ?

the most beautiful plane of all time