MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftschiffmaat Holz

Article about: Here a small picture of KptLt Gärtner commander of L 37 during the Albion operation. Regards Alex

Default Luftschiffmaat Holz

Today i want to present a small and rare group of an navy enlisted man who served in the Marine-Luftschiffer-Abteilung.

Johann Holz was born on 17.03.1889 at Frankenthal (Bavaria).

At the age of 20 he entered the navy on 06.10.1909 at 3.Kp. II. Matrosendivision. The most time of his duty he served on board of SMS Schlesien until 27.09.1911 when he leaved the navy as an Obermatrose der Res.

At the AOW he was reactivated and from 05.08.1914 - 20.03.1915 on board of SMS Wörth.

On 31.03.1915 he moved to the Marine-Luftschiff-Abteilung.
    At first for half a year to Marine-Luftschiff-Detachement (MLD) IV at Hage.
    Maybe he was trained here for further assignment.

- group of Johann Holz
    Luftschiffmaat Holz

- Extract of his Soldbuch (pay book) over the service on SMS WÖRTH
    Luftschiffmaat Holz

- picture of SMS SCHLESIEN
    Luftschiffmaat Holz

- picture of SMS WÖRTH
    Luftschiffmaat Holz

- Extract of his Soldbuch (pay book) over the service at MLD IV Hage
    Luftschiffmaat Holz
    Last edited by jaba1914; 09-05-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Default Re: Luftschiffmaat Holz

25.04.1916 it was a important day for Holz. He came to Kommando of Marineluftschiff (navy air ship) L 16 that was at Hage.
    This was a short time service and he didn't belong to Fahrbesatzung (crew).

His second assignment was the Kommando of L 32 (01.06.1916 - 05.11.1916). Again he didn't belong to the first crew. He was part of the second crew for reserve, when one from the first crew faill.
    This instance saved his life, because L 32 was shot down on 24.09.1916 over London. The entire crew lost incl. the commander Olt.z.S. Werner Petersen.
    Most of the second crew of L 32 came to the new introduced L 40, Holz too.

After a short period on L 40 he was sent to Schulkommando Nordholz.This was a training unit for air ship crews. Investigations revealed that he had training on L 16 from 2.4. - 28.4.1917.

- Extract of his Soldbuch (pay book) over the service on L16 and L40 signed by Kpt.Lt. Sommerfeld (commander L40)
    Luftschiffmaat Holz

- picture of L 16 crashed 19.10.1917
    Luftschiffmaat Holz

His last service was at Kommando of L 37. This time he was member of the crew. L 37 was under the command of Kpt.Lt. Gärtner at Seddin on the balticum area.
    Holz was promoted to Luftschiffmaat on 01.08.1917, short time before the operation Albion was started. At this landing operation to occupy the Baltic islands also took the Navy airships L 30, L 37, SL 8 and the army air ships SL 20, LZ 113 und LZ 120.

There were some common operations of several air ships. I only mention the operations of L 37.

- 08.09.1917 air raid to Wolmar (Valmiera) and Walk (Valka) [together with LZ113, LZ120, L30]
    LZ113 and LZ120 from Wainoden
    L30 from Seerappen
    L37 from Seddin

- 24.09.1917 air raid to Zerel (Sääre) [together with LZ113, LZ120, L30].
    L30 and L37 from Seerappen

- 01.10.1917 air raid to Salismünde (Salacgriva) [together with LZ113, LZ120, L30]

- 16.10.1917 air raid to Pernau (Pärnu) [together with LZ113, LZ120, L30, SL20]
    SL20 from Seddin

Johann Holz participated on the air raids to Wolmar, Salismünde and Pernau.

After the end of operation Albion L 37 was no more needed. On 24.12.1917 it was disarmed at Seddin.

Holz came back to Nordholz where he reimined untill EOW.

Awards of Holz

29.09.1917 Eisernes Kreuz II. Kl. bei Kommando L 37
    12.03.1918 Bay. MVK III. Kl. mit X und Krone

- Extract of his Soldbuch (pay book) over the service on L 37 signed by Kpt.Lt. Gärtner (commander L 37)
    Luftschiffmaat Holz

- Gefechtskalender (air raids)
    Luftschiffmaat Holz

- Extract of his Militärpass (military book) over the entire service at Marine-Luftschiff-Abteilung (MLA) including the air raids.
    Luftschiffmaat Holz

- Picture of L 37
    Luftschiffmaat Holz

I hope you enjoy it

Regards Alex

Alex,

What an AMAZING and RARE group. Your collection is absolutely superb. Thanks very much for sharing this with us!
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Nice to hear that you like it.

Here a overview of all air raids of L 37 during Operation Albion.

Luftschiffmaat Holz

Regards Alex

Outstanding Alex An amazing thread !!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Come on guys, Alex goes through all of the trouble to shoot and post these rarities and only two comments. What gives?
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here another document out of this group.

Holz had been canceled due to illness for some time 1918. So after the return to MLA he had a medical examination for futher service on air ships.

Luftschiffmaat Holz

I don't know of he realy goes up in the air ofter the service on L 37. He had service on Schulkommando Nordholz from begin 1918 to the end EOW.

Regards Alex

SacredOwl
    ?

Smile Re: Luftschiffmaat Holz

Very interesting WW1 material of a subject which interests me. I worked 23 year for Lufthansa in London (reservations dept) and was able to obtain a large blueprint of the Graf Zeppelin construction plans. I will be donating this unique plan to a reconstructed 1916 WW1 airfield museum at Stow Maries in Essex (see site) plus some photographs from the Lufthansa archive of the Graf Zeppelin's journeys. I have always felt that not enough research was done to develop safer airships - perhaps jet turbine powered types for shorter and safer passenger travel or even long range ones for retired passengers who may wish to spend a month or so cruising to scenic parts of the world at low level.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast