Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

SS Pi Btl 5

Article about: Welcome Hi all forum members !!! I would like to buy it but I'm afraid of is not original. Please help, if this is the original id marken ? Yours beck

?

Default SS Pi Btl 5

Welcome

Hi all forum members !!!
    I would like to buy it but I'm afraid of is not original.
    Please help, if this is the original id marken ?
    Yours

beck

Last edited by jabol; 11-01-2010 at 11:30 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Pi Btl 5
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS Pi Btl 5

Hi Jabol,

I don't believe this one is real for several reasons- the first indicator is the Stammrollennummer: the '23' is a known fake type, which you can see is used on the attached absolute 100% fake disc below (and probably some others in my sticky thread about fake fonts); then there's the fact that the reverse shows a good deal of the surface corrosion is damaged right at the text, suggesting the disc was stamped after it was corroded (perhaps it was an original blank). Lastly, it is a field unit, not a replacement unit- fakers always choose field units because they're recognizable, but the majority of men only ever had discs from the first replacement unit they joined; only those serving when the war started or very early on were issued with discs marked to their field units. SS-Pionier-Bataillon 5 was only created in late 1943 so no man was likely issued with one of its discs. Sometimes units carried stocks of extras to issue as replacements for lost discs, but not all and they're usually found in groups. That remote possibility doesn't make up for the other significant indicators that this disc is a fake.

The rule of thumb I always recommend following when looking at SS discs is that they not just lack any doubtful qualities, but they should actually have only positive features- they should say 'I'm real', not just 'I'm probably not fake'. This one has doubt so should be passed on...
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Pi Btl 5 
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Welcome

Thanks for your concrete explanation. A lot of bad id tag, it is a problem.

Yours jabol

?

Indeed- 99% of the SS discs one is likely to find for sale are fakes; it makes collecting SS discs alone a fairly useless endeavour unless one is extremely patient...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Welcome

Thanks for the description and the help !!!

All Yours jabol