Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

ribbons & medals ?

Article about: I kn ow this is probably a stupid question but can any one tell me or show me pics how the ww11 German military wore there ribbons and medals on there uniforms? thanks for any help

Question ribbons & medals ?

I kn ow this is probably a stupid question but can any one tell me or show me pics how the ww11 German military wore there ribbons and medals on there uniforms?
    thanks for any help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ribbons & medals ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: ribbons & medals ?

Hi Frank, no question is stupid. Although this is a farly broad question, I should be able to help.

The German Armed Forces proudly wore their decorations at all times. But different dress regulations dicated the form that this took.

Awards, combat badges and qualification badges which were worn on the breast pockets, were worn at all times. Above the breast pocket was worn a ribbon bar on which only the medal ribbons alone were worn. Provided the soldier had earnt any of these of course. The medal ribbons were worn in a order of precedence. See my pinned list at the top of the forum. However, the ribbon of the Iron Cross 2nd class (EKII) was authorised to be worn in the second button hole. The ribbon of the Eastern Front medal was also worn in this fashion.

For full dress uniform the medals themselves were worn, mounted on a bar, instead of the ribbons only.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: ribbons & medals ?

Here are two examples showing service dress and full dress.

The Heer NCO illustrates well the points I made above.

The Zoll Officer seen here, a Veteran of WW1, wears his NSDAP Party membership badge too. I believe this was not authorised to be worn in this manner. Only the Gold Party badge should have been worn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ribbons & medals ?   ribbons & medals ?