Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying this bayonet..

Article about: This bayonet has been in the family for over 50 years, it was retrieved while my father-in-law's dad was serving under Patton in north Africa during WW2 off of deceased German troops. I rece

alt214
    ?

Default Need help identifying this bayonet..

This bayonet has been in the family for over 50 years, it was retrieved while my father-in-law's dad was serving under Patton in north Africa during WW2 off of deceased German troops.

I recently took it to a gun and knife show to see if anyone could identify it, and multiple people said it didn't look like a weapon from WW2; but it did look like possibly and Austrian bayonet from WW1. I was thinking possibly that it was handed down to the deceased German soldier sometime in his life, and he had brought it to war, and then it had gotten retrieved by my father-in-law's dad.

I don't have that great of a camera, but hopefully you can get a decent idea of what it looks like. I cannot find any markings on it, but it measures out to be 28" total with a 22.5" blade.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT:

I just noticed a partial marking on the blade that I hadn't noticed before. It is very worn, but I can make out half of it, it has a circle around it and the last two letters are "D.L"; I will see if I can get a decent picture of the marking uploaded.
    Attached Images Attached Images Need help identifying this bayonet..  Need help identifying this bayonet.. 

2. # ADS

Default Re: Need help identifying this bayonet..

looks like a French bayonet circa 1860's

?

Yep a "Frenchy" circa 1865 - 1870 Franco-Prussian war ..
    They are called the Chassepot ...

French Model 1866 "Chassepot" (Yataghan) Sword Bayonet

Gary J.

alt214
    ?

Thanks guys; do you think it has any type of value (It is a little rusted and worn ><)

Edit: I noticed the handle of the sword on the link you gave me was a little bit different; do you by chance know what model mine is?

Edit2: I looked through some of the other things on that site you gave me; is this it? http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/fren1842.htm

?

It might be a 42 pattern .... ?? but the 66 pattern are far more common.
    Over here in Europe, they turn up quite a lot, .. and normally price in around £45 - £60 GBP (Approx $100ish USD) for an average example minus scabbard.

Check around on the net a bit more concerning Chassepots ..
    Use it as a learning curve now the ID is a bit more positive ! .. there should be enough info on the net to tie the model down ..

Cheers

Gary J.

alt214
    ?

Thanks; what would you price a '42 at? I am almost 100% positive it is an 1842, but I don't know how much of a better look you could get of it unless you saw it in real life. It looks EXACTLY like two different pictures that I've seen of '42 french's.
    Last edited by alt214; 09-01-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typos ><