Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ww2 soldat photo in frame

Article about: Just got this a pic os a German soldier artillery badge medal ribbon iron cross and east front.All the info on back this was all done by the soldiers nephew.The Medal bar though is an Americ

Default ww2 soldat photo in frame

Just got this a pic os a German soldier artillery badge medal ribbon iron cross and east front.All the info on back this was all done by the soldiers nephew.The Medal bar though is an American good conduct bar and im tempted to open the pic up at the back and replace with the ones that should be there. Although im torn between doing this as it is how it was done by his nephew and has never been openend only has cracks down edge and i could cause problems.Would love to know more about this guy though the pic was found in a locked wardrobe at a house clearance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww2 soldat photo in frame   ww2 soldat photo in frame  

ww2 soldat photo in frame   ww2 soldat photo in frame  

ww2 soldat photo in frame  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ww2 soldat photo in frame
    P
    Many

Default Re: ww2 soldat photo in frame

I would not mess with it. It will always look tampered with once you have done this.

As it is, it is an interesting talking point. It is an actual ribbon in the frame?

Seems the Nephew wrote about another relative as well on the back as he is described as having a "Hero's death" in WW1.

Don't quite understand the reference to Paris in June 1939? Now 1940 I could understand? I think this guy has got a lot of things mixed up here?

Cheers, Ade.

None of the dates make sense as Ade has mentioned. For the ones that possibly relate to the WW2 French Campaign they are a year early, and checking on Volksbund the only 2 Karl Edinger's they have listed as being KIA in WW1 both died in 1917, one of which is buried in Romania (although obviously Volksbund is far from complete and not always 100% accurate). There are a few things about the set up that doesn't make sense - why would he put an American ribbon on the picture, why annotate the picture of a WW2 soldier with details of one from a different war? How certain are you that the man who sold you this is the nephew of the soldier?
    What sort of ink is it? Does it look like it has come from a fibre tipped pen or a biro?

However, there are 4 Karl Edinger's listed as being KIA in WW2 and one of them was born in 1914 (although the month & day doesn't tie in)...

Nachname: Edinger
    Vorname: Karl
    Dienstgrad: Unteroffizier
    Geburtsdatum: 15.01.1914
    Geburtsort: Kolbermoor
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 04.10.1941
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: Krgslaz. 3/605 Roslawl

...and as he was killed in October 1941 he wouldn't of been eligible for the Eastern Front Medal (the lower of the two ribbons through the button hole)

Picture is nice even if the family history is confused/wrong?

Jock

Quote by jock auld View Post
    Picture is nice even if the family history is confused/wrong?

Jock
    I agree, the photo itself is a very nice one.

The guy i got it from is found it in a locked wardrobe during house clearance didnt get it from the relative directly.The ink is definately old i think a relative with very little knowledge has found this picture and decided to do some sort of dedication.Who knows this guy may have lived might be mixed up family history? but i do like the picture had to have it when i saw it.

?

Airwarrior did you look to see if another pic is behind the front photo? Gary

Hi Gary no i didnt want to open up the picture as it is sealed with glued tape hmmmmm you got me thinking but Ade did say earlier it would always look tampered with which has now put me off from doing anything with this.

?

You never know what hides behind that tape Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast