Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

some questions regarding refurbishing a helmet

Article about: by Schwerpunkt You want to fool collectors but it's not your intention ? Which is it. Anyway nice goal you have set yourself there , I'll make a mental note to myself and my friends not to a

Default some questions regarding refurbishing a helmet

hi guys, i have a nice ET68 helmet that was used and repainted by a reenactor. it has a poor heer decal on it and i want to refurbish it and age it for my own reenacting use. i have never done this before but i have an idea of what i am supposed to do. i want to make it as real as possible so here are a few questions i have:

1. I want to make it a single decal SS helmet. Do any of you have an ET single decal SS helmet that i could see pictures of so I know what shade of paint I should use? i know that there were variants but like i said, i want it to be as close as possible to the real thing : )

2. what maker/style/pattern decal should i use on an ET M40 SS helmet?

3. what should the liner band be made of to be period correct? i know that there were zinc and aluminum types but i really dont know which ones go in what helmets.

4. lastly, do any of you know of a website with the best reproduction decals, paints, and liners available? i want this helmet to be able to fool collectors (although that is definately NOT my intention). i just want to make this my little project because frankly, i have nothing to do until school starts for me in august!

thanks a lot guys, ill be sure to post photos as soon as im finished!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement some questions regarding refurbishing a helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: some questions regarding refurbishing a helmet

hmmm no replies on this one lol...

buy the book,"SS STEEL" by Kelly Hicks,,all your questions will be answered there,,,,paint,decals,etc,,,

Use zinser power stripper to strip the old paint. us gray automobile primer to prime the helmet. Then as the primer is drying evenly coat the helmet with aluminum oxide powder. Then give the helmet multiple coats of Feldgrau Dunkel from 1944militaria.com it is 15$ a can and is the best helmet paint you can get. Then get a dry transfer decal from military-steel-helmets-and-decals.com. He makes the best helmet decals by far. Then Spray the helmet with testors dull clear coat spray and your done. This process works amazingly. Also i could refinish the helmet for you for a low price. Send me a PM if you want that or need any help

i remember reading about how the germans didnt use primer on their helmets though... if i want it as real as possible then should i still use primer?

also ive been doing a little reading and i came across this site which reportedly has the best decals available. have any of you used this site before? are the decals really that good?

http://www.decalhelmet.com/descripti...id=325&path=43

Don't use primer. Paint with the desired colour only without the liner in place. When it's dry put it in the gas oven on mark 4 for about 10 minutes. Take it out and allow to stand and cool. This makes the paint much harder and less prone to chipping. BE WARNED! There are many on here who frown upon such practices - although I am not one of them. It is not so much what you do for yourself, but what may happen to the helmet when you pass it on to someone else.

i was actually planning on marking in behind the liner (my initials, MH) MH 2010 REPRO with something permanent. if i do sell it ill be selling it as a high-quality repro, nothing more and nothing less. if i do a good job of this, maybe i can make a little side business out of it while im at college for for extra money.

i would appreciate any tips that anyone can give me on this. ive figured out that i need some aluminum oxide and RAL-6006 paint but i have no idea what the equivalent of it is over here in the states.

does anyone know where i can get either of these things in the US?
    Last edited by ObKrieger; 07-03-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    i was actually planning on marking in behind the liner (my initials, MH) MH 2010 REPRO with something permanent. if i do sell it ill be selling it as a high-quality repro, nothing more and nothing less. if i do a good job of this, maybe i can make a little side business out of it while im at college for for extra money.

i would appreciate any tips that anyone can give me on this. ive figured out that i need some aluminum oxide and RAL-6006 paint but i have no idea what the equivalent of it is over here in the states.

does anyone know where i can get either of these things in the US?

Another wanna be helmet artist

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    4. i want this helmet to be able to fool collectors (although that is definately NOT my intention). i just want to make this my little project because frankly, i have nothing to do until school starts for me in august!
    You want to fool collectors but it's not your intention ? Which is it.
    Anyway nice goal you have set yourself there , I'll make a mental note to myself and my friends not to assist you ever again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast