Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzer Lehr Grave in Normandy.

Article about: Apologies for posting more of my holiday snaps, but I did visit some interesting things ; including this - a rather unusual sight in a French country churchyard. The location is the tiny ham

Arrow Panzer Lehr Grave in Normandy.

Apologies for posting more of my holiday snaps, but I did visit some interesting things ; including this - a rather unusual sight in a French country churchyard.

The location is the tiny hamlet of Parfouru-sur-Odon which, from 9-20 June 1944, was the CP and workshops of Pz Regt 130 of the Panzer Lehr Division. This unit operated Panzer IVs and was commanded by Major ( promoted posthumously to Oberstleutnant ) Prinz Wilhelm von Schoenburg-Waldenburg. He and two of his crew were killed by a British a/t shell during a counterattack on 11th June, near Tilly-sur-Seulles ( about 10 miles North of here ). They were buried in the local churchyard the next day with full military honours.

And the graves - very well-tended - remain there today, now part of a 'garden of peace'.

I was pleased to find this spot - it is very quiet and remote ( apologies for the 'glare' of the photos - it was a very hot day).

Credit where it's due here : I wouldn't have found any of these locations without the invaluable help of Heimdal's 'Villers-Bocage : Autopsie D'Une Bataille' by Frederic Deprun/Yann Jouault. This covers the area in incredible detail and is highly recommended.......

?

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting and it looks a beautiful place to visit. Also good to see the graves are taken good care of.

Regards, Rik

This is how it perhaps should be. A very dignified and respectful mermorial to men who died serving their country as soldiers regardless of and without reference to the ideology that had them on the "wrong side".

They are only recognised as being military graves by the use of the word "fallen" for the date of death rather than the word "Died" as would be more usual on non military graves, appropriate discretion I feel.

Thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Very nice pink and grey marble.Those markers certainly weren't cheap.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I don't know the grave.....thank's
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/