Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Composite helmet surprise Quiz

Article about: I don't have many composite helmets, the ones I do have are mainly the early models Oup's! I see them as the transition from steel to composite, some of them are almost 50 years old! This Qu

?

Default Composite helmet surprise Quiz

I don't have many composite helmets, the ones I do have are mainly the early models Oup's!
    I see them as the transition from steel to composite, some of them are almost 50 years old!

This Quiz will be an interactive one meaning that once you identify an helmet you can write a few words about it.

Example: Helmet #1 is the French M1915, casque Adrien, the first mass produced helmet of WW1.
    Poorly designed but enjoyed by the "Poilus", the Adrian helmet still saved many lives & was exported to many countries.
    Placed among his composite's great grandchild for its memory.
    Have fun.

Right then. I'm trying this from memory and *not* referring to CompoSite (honest) -

1 - FRANCE - incredibly rare Aramid Adrian trialled in 1917 but too expensive to produce in quantity.

2 - IRAQ - M80 (probably) South Korean designed corlon helmet, made by Daewoo and others. Original SK helmets widely exported.

3 - UK - Mk6, started general issue in mid-late 1980s but some evidence test examples were trialled in the Falklands 1982

4 - SERBIA - or perhaps YUGOSLAVIA - M89, a compo version of the steel M59 series

5 - No idea, could be anything under that bit of cloth

6 - ISRAEL - Orlite M76, or possibly (going by colour) export model used in SOUTH AFRICA as the M83. NB Locally made SA M83 has slotted bolts for liner as opposed to Israeli rivets
    7 - SLOVENIA - Veplas product, known as V91, but no-one knows why

8 - CANADA - CG634 - Canadian design with very French (FI and F2 type) liners

9 - GERMANY - B826 - probably an early one made by Induyco given the small round bolthead for liner - Schuberth have larger rectangular bolts

10 - FRANCE - F2 made by Gallet (who were also involved with the Canadian 634)

11 - or is this the French F2 - I dunno - view of liners would help! All these compos look the same to me (especially when under bits of cloth)

12 - USA - PASGT original form, probably the first composite to see action as an issue item (Grenada invasion)

13 - SPAIN - Marte, this is a Marte series 2 , Marte series issued from early 1980s, and are (I think) the first general issues composite helmet.
    Last edited by Greg Pickersgill; 07-26-2024 at 01:42 PM.

?

Hi Greg, I salute your knowledge & memory.
    I will simply post the interior of the helmets & a few comments, you already explained them nicely.

1 - FRANCE - incredibly rare Aramid Adrian trialled in 1917 but too expensive to produce in quantity. BANG ON!

2 - IRAQ - M80 (probably) South Korean designed corlon helmet, made by Daewoo and others. Original SK helmets widely exported. THAT'S IT!

3 - UK - Mk6, started general issue in mid-late 1980s but it some evidence test examples were trialled in the Falklands 1983. YES SIR!

4 - SERBIA - or perhaps YUGOSLAVIA - M89, a compo version of the steel M59 series. YOU ARE WRIGHT!
    M89 on the left M59/85 on the right.

5 - No idea, could be anything under that bit of cloth.
    That Israeli M76/85 with the cover on was not ment to distract you!.. But that... thing is glued on the shell
    The M1976 manufactured by Orlite was the first composite helmet adopted by a major army. The M76/85 is a modernized version of the M1976.
    Both version were widely exported.

6 - ISRAEL - Orlite M76, or possibly (going by colour) export model used in SOUTH AFRICA as the M83. OH YES!
    NB Locally made SA M83 has slotted bolts for liner as opposed to Israeli rivets. GOOD WITH ME, SOUTH AFRICA.

7 - SLOVENIA - Veplas product, known as V91, but no-one knows why. ME NEITHER (CG634 is another one!)
    This is the original model, later the chinstrap was improved.

8 - CANADA - CG634 - Canadian design with very French (FI and F2 type) liners.
    French F2 left, yes note the liners.

The chinstrap buckle is inspired by the Israeli M76/85 one & (improved since Canadians uses gloves half of the year) .
    M76/85 left.

9 - GERMANY - B826 - probably an early one made by Induyco given the small round bolthead for liner. YES SIR!

10 - SERBIA - M1997 who is inspired very much from the French F2 itself having a PASGT shell. TOUGHT ONE!
    The chinstrap of the M1997 (left) is similar to the modified M59/85 Serbian helmet itself a temporary setup until replaced by the M97.

11 - or is this the French F2 - I duuno - YES THAT'S THE ONE!
    The French F2 as a US PASGET shell but kept the F1 liner & chinstrap.
    F2 on the left, the F1 on the right as the first model of liner who was modified later (star shape).

12 - USA - PASGT original form, probably the first composite to see action as an issue item (Grenada invasion) FIRST US COMPOSITE, YES!
    PASGT on the left, on its right is the Serbian M97 helmet for comparaison, at least it has a 3 point chinstrap.

13 - SPAIN - Marte, this is a Marte series 2 , Marte series issued from early 1980s, and are (I think) the first general issues composite helmet. YES!
    Again very similar to the PASGT but with Spanish components.

Thanks again, this Quiz can be used as a mini composite guide for a few of the early models.
    Last edited by Jack59; 07-26-2024 at 11:22 PM. Reason: more info M1997, F2 F1 same orientation photo

Well, not so bad, at the very least I got the inordinately difficult number 1 right!

I might be inclined to argue with some of your 'inspired by' or 'similar to' descrip[tions, but I'm not so sure there much of an audience for that.

Interesting quiz anyway, which I ought to have got 100% as I have examples of all of these bar the Israeli Orlite.

?

Default The Canadian CG 634 name origin.

CG634. Where did that name came from? The M1, M35, Ssh 40, Mk III for example ment something.
    But CG634? After the Quiz I went back digging into references, in Roger Lucy book, TIN LIDS Canadian Combat Helmets, Second Edition I found part of the answer.

In page 46: <<This new helmet, designed the CG 634, is made of Aramid (Kevlar) and has a minimum V50 of 634 m/s (compared to the PASGT's 610 m/s")>>.
    So that comes from the NATO Standard - STANAG 2920 International Ballistic Standards.
    More info on that topic: STANAG 2920 NATO | Velmet

The "CG" I found in the helmet User's Manual. CG comes from the original manufacturer name CGF Gallet® first two letters.

In 2002 CGF Gallet international INC. was bought by the American firm Mine Safety Appliances (MSA).
    Source: World War Helmets :World War Helmets - Casque CG634

Great quiz Jack and as usual as i catch up on here only now and then missed the party ,a fine collection of compo's which i do partake in collecting when the mood strikes as i have always mostly been a steel pot collector in the earlier years ,i do love the trials helmets and have a couple in the pile so might as well share a few examples .
    Firstly the early version of the GS Mk6 with two point chinstrap mine being number 600 of a possible 1500 producedComposite helmet surprise QuizComposite helmet surprise Quiz

Sure i have shown before but here is my M59/85 pairing ,one has the liner configuration of the composite Croatian Sestan Busch BK9 fighting helmet the other has the Serbian M 1997 chinstrap assemblyComposite helmet surprise QuizComposite helmet surprise QuizComposite helmet surprise Quiz

Finally a few Austrian ballistic test pieces from the early 1980's and it is easier to just copy and paste the link which at the time and still today generated no interest what so ever apart from a couple of likes so you might find it equally as uninteresting Jack so none taken Austrian trials /test Composite helmets

?

Finally a few Austrian ballistic test pieces from the early 1980's and it is easier to just copy and paste the link which at the time and still today generated no interest what so ever apart from a couple of likes so you might find it equally as uninteresting Jack so none taken Austrian trials /test Composite helmets
    Hi James, we must admit that composite helmets are not everyone's cup of tea. Nevertheless I'm always curious to follow their evolution & enjoy learning about them. Thanks for your composite helmets posts & to everybody else who contribute . Remember that we collect first for ourselves. We share on the Forum for the pleasure of it, sometimes our post will arouse a lot of interest, other times less and once in a while next to nothing. Also don't forget about the silent majority.

Regards
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack59; 08-17-2024 at 02:20 PM.