Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Chassepot bayonet - can anyone tell me anything about it?

Article about: My mother asked me if I could help her friend dispose of a couple of “machetes”. Well it turned out it was a large kitchen knife and this bayonet! I recognised it as a Chassepot rifle ba

Default Chassepot bayonet - can anyone tell me anything about it?

My mother asked me if I could help her friend dispose of a couple of “machetes”. Well it turned out it was a large kitchen knife and this bayonet! I recognised it as a Chassepot rifle bayonet, but know very little more. It’s obviously been in the garage for a long time and has surface rust and pitting, although the blade is still good.
    The only marks I can see are “2” on one side of the blade and some sort of stamp on the other. It looks like there is a serial number stamped on the scabbard. Interestingly the grip appears to be painted green. Is this original? It has clearly been on there a very long time.

Whilst I only really collect WW2 militaria I actually have a Chassepot rifle. My father brought it back from some Arabic country (possibly Oman) in the 60’s or 70’s. I never realised that the bayonet fits on sideways. The rifle with bayonet is over 6’2” long!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chassepot bayonet - can anyone tell me anything about it?   Chassepot bayonet - can anyone tell me anything about it?  

Chassepot bayonet - can anyone tell me anything about it?   Chassepot bayonet - can anyone tell me anything about it?  

Chassepot bayonet - can anyone tell me anything about it?   Chassepot bayonet - can anyone tell me anything about it?  

?

Is there an inscription on the spine of the blade? If French, I would expect to see the manufacturer and month plus year of manufacture there. This style of bayonet was in high fashion back then so it could possibly be from another country as well.

?

There is some dirt or paint on handle as the handle should be brass cast, the spine of blade should be inspected as mentioned Kilian, same as the left side of crosspiece as there was serial number of rifle, the right ricasso looks like a french proof, but could be too diferent, 2 on left ricasso is for frenchs untypical. Soak with oil could help here.

It does have something written on the spine, however, it is very faint.
    The grip is definitely painted in a green paint. It’s clearly been on their a very long time. Did any military’s / countries do this or do you think it’s been painted by someone after its military service?
    Many thanks for the information so far
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chassepot bayonet - can anyone tell me anything about it?   Chassepot bayonet - can anyone tell me anything about it?  

?

Its a french one made in period imperial from it is on spine Manufacture Imperiale de Saint Etienne Novembre 1868. Green paint is not period but could be made from a long time.

?

Yes, it is French made in St. Etienne arsenal. And indeed, 9bre stands for November. I do not know why there is paint on the grip, originally it was not there. It may have been sold to another country (French colony?) after the French adopted the Gras rifle. I would not remove the paint, as it looks old.

Many thanks for the quick reply