MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Price rises for artifacts

Article about: Hello friends, I used to purchase many Axis items from a local dealer here in Pennsylvania. Over time, prices rose for even common items like mess tins and canteens. If anyone complained his

Default Price rises for artifacts

Hello friends, I used to purchase many Axis items from a local dealer here in Pennsylvania. Over time, prices rose for even common items like mess tins and canteens. If anyone complained his usual response was "and Cokes used to cost a nickel." Of course, he was right about that kind of inflation over time. This was back in the early 2000s. 20 years later, it seems to me that prices even for common items are incredibly inflated. An international dealer posted some German gas mask canisters for 500 Euros. They used to go for 50 to 75 US. Those days are gone. These days, I thought 175 to 200 US was acceptable. They were made in the millions so they are not rare or scarce. Am I out of touch? My example may be extreme but I've seen severe inflation in other common items. At this point, I just want to pick up a few common items to complete some displays but I just can't justify spending $250 for a canteen. Any thoughts on this topic? Don't spare my feelings! Neil

How right you are! Everything has gone up though, not just militaria. The cost of living just costs more. I do see some hyper inflated items though. A Common Party badge for $250+? Come on!

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Prices certainly have risen. When I first started in the late 2000s some prices that seemed expensive would be welcomed today. I could help you look for items Neil! I've been helping several people find things they want in their price range.. I like the search for treasures.

Black wound badges for 60-100$ really gets me. And now everything seems to have to be packeted or with a case, over inflating the price of the piece.

This is why I don’t really collect German items anymore. Most prices have inflated to the point of ludicrousness, even for items made in their millions. Of course, dealers have every right to ask whatever they choose for the things they sell.

Vice versa, you as the consumer have every right to refuse to buy them. I’ve since gravitated to more affordable collecting fields, namely Soviet and Cold War, and am finding my time and money spent far more enjoyable as a result. As they say, vote with your wallet. Either dealers will see the error of their ways and bring prices down, or they won’t, in which case cheaper collecting facets will always exist. At the end of the day, our enjoyment of this hobby is the most important aspect of it. If we’re constantly fretting about getting ripped off, what’s the point?

B.B.

?

Nice topic,
    I like collecting small to medium diferenty displays of iconic WW2 subjects.
    I have never been interested in the rarity, much less the monetary value of the object, but mainly in the historical one.
    In fact I am often very happy even with relics that I find (I don't buy relics, I dug them out)
    So for a while I was able to collect without making huge financial efforts.
    then unfortunately things are changing, especially after the covid period.
    As often happens, it's a question of supply and demand.
    Demand is high and supply is less.
    So prices go through the roof, and as long as there are people who are willing to pay any amount for an artifact the numbers continue to rise.
    When I see ridiculous prices, I always hope that the item in question will not be sold, unfortunately instead....
    Don't misunderstand me, I know that there are many people with high economic resources, and everyone does what they want with their own money, but we collectors set the prices, if we don't buy anymore, the prices drop accordingly.
    I agree with Neil's post, some prices are not justifiable, and even if I could buy, I'll leave them there.
    Have a nice day!

Regards

Unfortunately, as dealers become greedy, prices also rise. In addition, there seem to be enough people who are willing to pay exorbitant prices. This applies to all collecting areas related to WWI and WWII.

?

Even the cost of shipping, when buying a $40.00 item, the price for delivery outweighs the original purchase amount depending on location.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Even the cost of shipping, when buying a $40.00 item, the price for delivery outweighs the original purchase amount depending on location.
    I even have the feeling that some dealers are so rude as to make a little extra profit from the shipping costs. Even if they only add a dollar or two, it still adds up to a significant amount in the total of the mailings. If you then use old, used packaging from Amazon and the like, you save the cost of boxes, which of course you still charge the customer for.

?

I would never blame the dealers, they just take advantage of the opportunity offered by collectors who are willing to pay ridiculous prices. A dealer in coffee beans or other goods would do the same.

I am under the distinct impression that the bulk of collectors are of the baby boom generation, me included.

We grew up when ww2 was not that long ago and many eye witnesses were still around, including in our family. Toy shops had a wide offering of military toys (e.g. Dinky Toys) and plastic modeling kits. Dump shops offered military items in the bulk, at low prices. It was easy to develop an interest.

As these baby boomers progressed in their lives they became richer and could afford to pay more for their hobby. And so we did. I fully expect the bubble to burst when this generation comes to an end and demand falls away. Just like what happened with stamp collecting. There are still some collectors left, but the mass market has gone.

My own kids have totally different interests and so have their friends. Look at what today’s toys shops are offering.

I still enjoy my hobby, but I stopped actively adding items 10-15 years ago, when I felt I could not justify paying the asking prices for items that are basically useless and nobody really needs. Though I still enjoy what I have.

Kilian, Well put. I agree. If you look at the arc of collecting for popular culture items like toys, books, records and so forth, it does start to drop off by generation. For example, in the US there was a time when Western toys and items like Hopalong Cassidy and Roy Rogers were highly valued. That dropped off rather quickly as the market aged and expired. Like you, I met veterans and received souvenirs passed along to me by family and friends. The English series World at War really ramped up my interest. I think a real peak time frame for WW2 began in the mid 90s with the expansion of reenacting and some other key films and TV series - not the least of which was Saving Private Ryan. Kids who had been playing video games showed up knowing every weapon detail down to the safety. Those media and gaming milestones kept interest up. Maybe we are now at the end of the arc? I do think many items will still hold their value for another decade or so but after that? Who knows.