Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Diary and Letter Written by Soldier Who Would be Killed 6 days later in France.

Article about: This diary and letter belonged to a William H. McAllister. He was born on September 1st 1921 in Pennsylvania. He would enlist into the Armed Forces on December 3rd 1942 and would attend Sign

Default WW2 Era Diary and Letter Written by Soldier Who Would be Killed 6 days later in France.

WW2 Era Diary and Letter Written by Soldier Who Would be Killed 6 days later in France.
    This diary and letter belonged to a William H. McAllister. He was born on September 1st 1921 in Pennsylvania. He would enlist into the Armed Forces on December 3rd 1942 and would attend Signal Corps School in Philadelphia. He would also be sent to various camps for further training. There are various sections in the diary (My Buddies in the service, Officers, The main daily written diary, the folks back home, places I have been, and Autographs).

The diary was written early on in his training. It contains tons of different information on people he met, his daily activities, and much more. Unfortunately this doesn’t have a happy ending as William would be killed in action less than a year after finishing this diary, and 6 days after writing the letter. There are many pages and a ton of text so it’s a bit much to all post here. But I have put it all into a single Imgur post as it was easier to just create it there and link to it, than to post all the images and text separately here. So if you’re interested in reading Williams war time diary, and possibly his last letter home, check out the post on Imgur here: https://imgur.com/gallery/TdNQMtv

Hi JB.

Another fantastic and poignant piece of social history, thank for sharing this with us. This is really the sort of thing that could be turned into a book to share William's story with the wider public.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

My pleasure! That’s definitely something I’ve considered. Hopefully it’s something I can make a reality one day. Thank you.

Good day,
    JB