Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian Mk. II helmet, P.W.D. markings

Article about: Hi all, Came across this at a shop yesterday, and wanted to get some opinions. Was only able to grab a quick pic in the shop, but I'm curious about the P.W.D. marking on the inside of the br

Default Canadian Mk. II helmet, P.W.D. markings

Hi all,

Came across this at a shop yesterday, and wanted to get some opinions. Was only able to grab a quick pic in the shop, but I'm curious about the P.W.D. marking on the inside of the brim. Has anyone come across that label before in that location? The person selling it said it stood for "Prisoner of War Depot" and would have belonged to a POW guard, but I haven't been able to find any mentions of that marking being used for those roles.

Canadian Mk. II helmet, P.W.D. markings

Everything looks correct for a home front helmet...Canadian DP&H stamp in the shell which you can see at the top, and the paint looks to be original. Liner is dated 1941. There are no markings of any kind though on the outside of the shell where I would have expected to see that kind of lettering, so I wasn't sure if the P.W.D. was more likely to be a role designation or just the initials of the soldier who owned it.

Eager to hear opinions from the experts!
    Last edited by Hastriq; 09-22-2024 at 08:09 PM.