Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can someone help me Identify these medals and badges?

Article about: Please, can someone help me identify the following photo of a medal collection? obviously appears to be US, but really confused as to the time periods. Thanks in advance, Fred

Default Can someone help me Identify these medals and badges?

Please, can someone help me identify the following photo of a medal collection? obviously appears to be US, but really confused as to the time periods. Thanks in advance, FredCan someone help me Identify these medals and badges?

Fred,

You have a mixture of US and foreign badges in this lot.

The top left looks to be a cap/beret badge for the South African Air Force

The next badge below the Cap badge looks to be a Fraternal Organization but I can't make it out.

The GAR Badge is a hat badge for the Grand Army of the Republic (Veteran's Group from the post Civil War era)

The next row over at the top are US Navy Submarine Dolphins and below is a Submarine Combat Patrol badge. I believe both of these are post WW2 era as indicated by the clutch back devices. If there are any markings on the back (Hallmarks) it may also reveal if they are sterling or not.

The US/NA is an officer's collar device from the 1900's period the NA is "National Army"

The next device looks to be some sort of Imperial German Decoration, perhaps a device for a medal, I am not sure though. More research needed as well as pictures of the back (This would include pictures of the backs of all the decorations)

The four multicolored ribbons are all US. The first with the one campaign star is the European African Middle Eastern Campaign Ribbon, aka EAME. The next blue ribbon is the Presidential Unit Citation with 2 oak leaf clusters (Indicating that the award was given to a unit 3 times (The ribbon counts as one and the oak leaves represent repeat awards of this decoration. Next is the rainbow-colored WW1 Victory ribbon with 2 campaign stars, and last is another EAME ribbon with 2 campaign stars. It may be the glare of the camera but the campaign star on the left looks to be silver which would indicate 5 campaigns and the right star would be a bronze colored star to total 6 campaigns.

Next over is another US/NA officers collar insignia.

Below this is another US Submarine badge

The next insignia is a crossed cannons with a 71 to indicate 71st Field Artillery. This is an officers collar insignia. It appears to be either 1930s or WW2 era. Images of the back will help indicate the era.

Next is a musicians lyre hat badge. This may of may not be military as many schools use this hat badge as well as military bands.

The next badge at the top with the Maple Leaf I believe are Canadian Navy Submarine Dolphins.

The round eagle badge is a US Air Force Hat badge from the 1950s.

Below that is a Russian Submarine badge. I am not sure of the era but it could date from the 70s

The unit crest below that is the 3rd Corps (III Corps) distinctive unit crest/insignia (DUI)

On the right side is a World War 1 Victory medal with two campaign clasps and below that is an incomplete GAR National Encampment medal/badge (Given out to post Civil War veterans who attended the encampments/reunions. I can't read the writing on it, so it may be for another type event other than the GAR.

Hope this helps

Smitty

Thank you so much!!

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Fred,

You have a mixture of US and foreign badges in this lot.

The top left looks to be a cap/beret badge for the South African Air Force

The next badge below the Cap badge looks to be a Fraternal Organization but I can't make it out.

The GAR Badge is a hat badge for the Grand Army of the Republic (Veteran's Group from the post Civil War era)

The next row over at the top are US Navy Submarine Dolphins and below is a Submarine Combat Patrol badge. I believe both of these are post WW2 era as indicated by the clutch back devices. If there are any markings on the back (Hallmarks) it may also reveal if they are sterling or not.

The US/NA is an officer's collar device from the 1900's period the NA is "National Army"

The next device looks to be some sort of Imperial German Decoration, perhaps a device for a medal, I am not sure though. More research needed as well as pictures of the back (This would include pictures of the backs of all the decorations)

The four multicolored ribbons are all US. The first with the one campaign star is the European African Middle Eastern Campaign Ribbon, aka EAME. The next blue ribbon is the Presidential Unit Citation with 2 oak leaf clusters (Indicating that the award was given to a unit 3 times (The ribbon counts as one and the oak leaves represent repeat awards of this decoration. Next is the rainbow-colored WW1 Victory ribbon with 2 campaign stars, and last is another EAME ribbon with 2 campaign stars. It may be the glare of the camera but the campaign star on the left looks to be silver which would indicate 5 campaigns and the right star would be a bronze colored star to total 6 campaigns.

Next over is another US/NA officers collar insignia.

Below this is another US Submarine badge

The next insignia is a crossed cannons with a 71 to indicate 71st Field Artillery. This is an officers collar insignia. It appears to be either 1930s or WW2 era. Images of the back will help indicate the era.

Next is a musicians lyre hat badge. This may of may not be military as many schools use this hat badge as well as military bands.

The next badge at the top with the Maple Leaf I believe are Canadian Navy Submarine Dolphins.

The round eagle badge is a US Air Force Hat badge from the 1950s.

Below that is a Russian Submarine badge. I am not sure of the era but it could date from the 70s

The unit crest below that is the 3rd Corps (III Corps) distinctive unit crest/insignia (DUI)

On the right side is a World War 1 Victory medal with two campaign clasps and below that is an incomplete GAR National Encampment medal/badge (Given out to post Civil War veterans who attended the encampments/reunions. I can't read the writing on it, so it may be for another type event other than the GAR.

Hope this helps

Smitty
    You beat me to it Smitty! I was just compiling a list very similar to yours. There is also what looks like some kind of post war (probably WWI) German veterans badge.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark,

I was curious about that WW1 German item...

Hope all is well with you...

Smitty

The German piece is a patriotic pin/ broach made from the driving band from an artillery shell.
    These were very popular in ww1 Germany.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Greg,

I suspected you would have known what it was.. Thanks,

Smitty

Anytime.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned