Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on F.W. Holler Army Dagger

Article about: I spotted this Army Dagger in a display case with a bunch of random stuff. It is marked F.W. Holler. It definitely shows some wear. The Eagle shows a lot of definition in the feathers. The p

?

Default Opinions on F.W. Holler Army Dagger

I spotted this Army Dagger in a display case with a bunch of random stuff. It is marked F.W. Holler. It definitely shows some wear. The Eagle shows a lot of definition in the feathers. The pommel shows some gold coloring showing on the wear areas, brass? The scabbard is in good condition. The portepee is frayed as well as the belt hangers. I apologize for the poor quality pics. (Pics attached I hope)

I'm looking for opinions as to the daggers originality and if it would be worth purchasing.

Opinions on F.W. Holler Army DaggerOpinions on F.W. Holler Army DaggerOpinions on F.W. Holler Army DaggerOpinions on F.W. Holler Army DaggerOpinions on F.W. Holler Army DaggerOpinions on F.W. Holler Army Dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on F.W. Holler Army Dagger
    P
    Many

Hi BB ..the dagger is authentic ...but the crossguard is a Type 1 which would be seen on a 1935 production type with a slant grip.
    But this grip is a Type B mid period production ...so the combination is possible.

Gerrit can comment further on all the fittings.
    Can you find out if there are side screws on upper scabbard area or a flush mount screw on the reverse side of the upper scabbard.

That grip eagle really stands out showing a small chested eagle with long boney legs. Cool attribute by Holler.
    Gerrit or Danny will chime in further.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The grip is in fact a type A (slant grip) which fits the crossguard and pommel perfectly. The only problem with this dagger is that is has a generic scabbard of a later production period. This combination didn't leave the factory like that. If it's worth buying or not depends entirely on the price. But I assume it won't be sold as a parts dagger, which it is.

Regards
    Danny

?

Larry and Danny, Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience on these daggers.

Danny are you saying that the dagger is all correct as it would have left the factory but since the scabbard is not original it is considered a parts dagger? Am I reading that correctly?

They are asking $600 for the Dagger which seems like the low end of what I see them for sale for on-line, but those are advertised as "All Original". Do you think it is worth purchasing? Anything else I need to verify?

?

If the dagger has a tapered tang, I would buy it for $600. You can always try to find the right scabbard later to make it a textbook piece. Slant gripped Höller daggers are very hard to find and if you do, a good textbook one costs way above $1.000.

Here's a picture of a tapered tang.

Regards
    Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on F.W. Holler Army Dagger  

?

Well with Larry and Danny's help I decided to go and buy the Dagger.

Larry, the scabbard has the flush mount screw on the reverse.

Danny, The Dagger does indeed have the tapered tang.

I will try to make a new post once it get it cleaned up and some photos.

I appreciate both of your help with this.

?

That’s great! One more thing, please don’t clean the dagger. It will decrease the value substantially.

Regards
    Danny

?

Danny can you advise what I need to look for in regards to a correct scabbard.

Thanks.