Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

PPK R.F.V.-the issue pistol of the German Zoll Investigation Services

Article about: I picked up one of the German Zoll (Customs) Warrant Disc, so I thought I should complete the set with a nice R.F.V. issue PPK. And I found one. Of course one might ask how I can state the P

Default PPK R.F.V.-the issue pistol of the German Zoll Investigation Services

I picked up one of the German Zoll (Customs) Warrant Disc, so I thought I should complete the set with a nice R.F.V. issue PPK. And I found one.
    PPK R.F.V.-the issue pistol of the German Zoll Investigation ServicesPPK R.F.V.-the issue pistol of the German Zoll Investigation Services
    Of course one might ask how I can state the PPK was the issue pistol of the German Zoll Fahndungs Dienst (Customs Investigation Services). Well, years ago, 1975 to be exact, NAPCA member Reinhard Kornmayer contacted the West German Customs Agency, asking about the R.F.V.markings found on pistols like the Walther PP and PPK, Dreyse and other models.

He received an enlightening response from the Beschaffungsamt der Bundeszollamt (Procurement Office of the (German) Federal Customs Department. This was the famous letter printed in Auto Mag which listed all firearms issued and used by the German Customs Office in the pre-1945 time period. This was confirmation of the theory advanced by several members that R.F.V. meant Reichs Finanz Verwaltung. Well, heading the list were the Walther PP and PPK. Here is the listing of the Walther PPK in that letter.
    The third column of this portion of the letter is titled Bermerkung-Remarks. For the Walther PPK, the Procurement Office of the Federal Customs Department notation translates as " Intended for Field Work by Customs Investigation Services."

And of course the pistol would have been carried concealed by these plainclothed Zoll detectives in the ubiquitous Akah "Reichsbank" model holster.

Nice pick up Joe and pretty rare to find a PPK with the RFV markings with most being PPs.

Thank you Erich. Yes, they are uncommon compared to the Walther PPs. But given the fewer number of Zoll detectives, it is understandable. Still, the R.F.V. marked PPs are rather unusual with them being distributed to only certain designated Chief Financial Districts. And of course, there is the 1935 documentation of the RFV supplying Walther PPs and rifles to the early SS Grenz Patrol Service.