Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Named Luftwaffe Dagger Research

Article about: Hello, I have a Luftwaffe named dagger dedicated to a Luftwaffe Doctor, I can find his information pre ware but trying to find his war time military service. Johannes (Hanns) von Kov@tsits (

Default Named Luftwaffe Dagger Research

Hello,

I have a Luftwaffe named dagger dedicated to a Luftwaffe Doctor, I can find his information pre ware but trying to find his war time military service.

Johannes (Hanns) von Kov@tsits (a being @)

From what I have found he was born September 4 1904. He studied Medicine in 1923, receiving his doctor degree (Medicine) in 1930. He was born under Weimar , in Berlin. I believe he died in 1979 in Austria, but I could be wrong.

Where can I search for this? I realize this maybe obvious to many, but I thought I would reach out for help from my fellow collectors & friends.

Thank you in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named Luftwaffe Dagger Research
    P
    Many

?

Hello,

I could find a little more information but not a lot. The university archives say Johannes von Kovatsits was born 4 September 1902 in Weimar. He was of Evangelical faith. His father, Gyula von Kovatsits, was by profession a Konservenmeister. Johannes was enrolled at Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen. He was in Berlin in 1930 as a Dr. (med). From an unknown date until the summer of 1943 he held the rank of Stabsarzt serving thus serving as staff physician for IV. Gruppe of Kampfgeschwader 4.

Regards, Ben

Thank you friend! Even a little is great! I will have to dig into to see where that group served!

I generally search a lot myself but not so much German records, which are a little harder for me!

?

The Institut Deutsche Adelsforschung has another interesting bit because they have it listed he was an SS officer in 1938. Whether that is true or where that information came from I am not sure of.

I have also been battling with a 1935 phone book that claims to have him listed but I cannot find him on any of the pages it takes me to. All I can gather without the site working correctly is that there was a Dr. H. von Kovatsits who was a arzt (doctor) living at Schützenstraße 269. Can’t get to the page it is listed so cannot confirm it is him or what town they are listing this address, but it sure would appear to be the same man.
    Last edited by Witt; 06-23-2024 at 02:53 AM.

Outside of the identity and research of the Dr,,,,the Luftwaffe dagger community would love to see any type edged weapon that has been named or personalized ...and when you get a chance ..please post some photos of it here > https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/luftwaffe/

Good Hunting and hopeful your research turns up some good info

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Well thanks so much for everything! I'm going to try to send you a personal message as well if that's okay!

- - ------- - -

Hello, thank you. Yes, I will try to do that tomorrow or sometime very soon. Thanks for reaching out

?

IV. Gruppe was formed 18 June 1941 in Fassberg as Ergänzungsstaffel/KG 4 from Ergänzungsstaffel/IX. Flieger Division. In April 1941 it became the IV. Gruppe from the formation of another Stab, and 10-12 Staffel. From Fassberg they began flying out of France. July 1941 to January 1942 at Athies-sous-Laon and then in Avord.

The Gruppe was flying variants of the He-111H at least some of which were painted all black for nighttime bombing of Britain during the Blitz.

Here is a history of the unit although it is in German. There is a book, Chronik Kampfgeschwader 4 General Wever, on the history of the unit as well if you can read German.
    Kampfgeschwader 4 — Commission Historique