Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Is this M38 relic real or not real?

Article about: Hello guys, I have a question regarding the M38 helmet in the photo's. Someone offered me this M38 helmet for a fair pricing and I am quite interested in an M38 helmet. I don't mind rust, I

?

Default Is this M38 relic real or not real?

Hello guys,

I have a question regarding the M38 helmet in the photo's. Someone offered me this M38 helmet for a fair pricing and I am quite interested in an M38 helmet. I don't mind rust, I actually like relics, haha.

I did my research, but I am doubting the authenticity. For now I only have two photo's, but I asked for more photo's. I think it's a late war M38 helmet with aluminium bolts and a flared rim (I think).

But I have a few points I am doubting on:
    - The rust displaying bumps;
    - The chinstrap is still there, while the interior-leather is gone - aswell as the cushions;
    - I also don't see the sewn-on buckles on the chin straps.

Could any expert on these helmets offer me some clarity? That would be absolutely amazing... many thanks in advance.

Is this M38 relic real or not real?Is this M38 relic real or not real?

Best regards,
    Bart

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this M38 relic real or not real?
    P
    Many

?

Here some more photo's.

MAP
    ?

Given the condition it's tough to confirm but the shape looks correct to me.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi MAP,

Thank you for the reply! Greatly appreciated. That is nice to read.

I did actually buy it and inspected it thoroughly. It's mostly uncleaned, so I could perhaps see some colour when I clean it -but I think that I leavethe M38 as it is. The pod is still very hard; not soft in any way and it also displays some sort of battle damage. Futhermore it's quite cool that most most of the chinstraps still is in place.

Personally I think it's 100% authentic. I think that I checked almost every thread in the FJ sub the last couple of days, haha. But I am on no way any sort of expert.. so if anyone has more information, you're more than welcome. I would very much appreciate that.

I did make some photo's to share you guys:

---

Best Regards,
    Bart

MAP
    ?

Bart,

With these new phots, my opinion is the same. A nice relic helmet. Congrats
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Agree with Map’s conclusions and just to add that I really can’t see anyone going to such lengths to fake a relic helmet to that degree. Would seem a little counter productive. A nice relic and displayed with some moody lighting could make a very interesting display. Congratulations

Andy

A good relic. Leave it as it is.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the reply.

It for sure is a very nice helmet. And i've heard from the one who found it (16 years ago) that it had been found in a farmfield with a lot of rubble from a farm in Holland. The rubble was from the 1950s (according to him). So presumeably the farmer found the helmet after the war and kept it (perhaps to use it) and for some reason still threw it away. Perhaps that's also why the inner leather and hooks / buttons are gone. Perhaps the farmer used it.

One of the better relic M38 shells I have seen. The real deal for sure.