Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?

Article about: Hello, interested in this service tunic of an Obergefreiter on emedals bidding, is it an authentic one worth to buy? In what occasion is this tunic to be worn? Thank you for help.

?

Default Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?

Hello, interested in this service tunic of an Obergefreiter on emedals bidding, is it an authentic one worth to buy? In what occasion is this tunic to be worn? Thank you for help.
    Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?
    P
    Many

I'm confused, the picture of the internal suspender is the same picture as shown in your post of the Panzergrenadier tunic that I've just commented on. Even the faults in the lining material match.

?

Hi Eddie, Sorry again for the confusion to you. As explained in the hpf tunic thread, it’s correct for the suspender photo to be here.

I would like to post more photos to support the judgement. Thank you.

Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?Service Tunic on emedals, good to buy?

TWS
    ?

This appears to be a former Waffenrock (parade tunic) converted into I guess what was intended to be a walking out tunic.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

I think TWS is correct in his assessment.

Eddie

?

Thank you TWS and Eddie. Is such a conversation common in WW2? Do you think it’s worth of buying?

It looks like a tunic that's in reasonable conditioning it reflects a period when items that were no longer used/issued, such as parade tunics, were put to some other good use. In this instance what looks like a walking out tunic.

That said, I think it's a matter of personal choice. In my personal view and for my collection, a converted parade tunic would be bottom of the pile when considering a tunic purchase. But it's really boils down to your desire and the cost/affordabulity of the item in question.

Unfortunately there is no right to wrong answer on this one.

?

Thank you Eddie, so helpful

TWS
    ?

Quote by BlitzC View Post
    Thank you TWS and Eddie. Is such a conversation common in WW2? Do you think it’s worth of buying?
    You are welcome.

It depends on a few factors. Your collecting goals and preferences, price, etc. One unusual feature of this one is the collar tabs. They did not need to be converted to the service dress style. He could have kept the original tabs for a piped walking out. That would have been within regulations.

I would not strongly disagree with Eddie's personal view as stated in his reply. Often tunics converted from one function to another are not executed especially well and have lower desirability among collectors.

However, I have one converted tunic in my collection that I like very much as the work was done by a professional tailor to a very high standard. You can view it here:
    Pionier Spieß Piped Walking Out Tunic
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Your collection is really impressive. First step in tunic collection, I would say it’s much harder than the collection of Kreuz medals. There are so many things need to know and pay attention to. The comments here are knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks again to you all.