Kpemig.de - Top
Display your banner here

Edward W Kuyava (Dog Tag Find)

Article about: Howdy all, I recently found a 1942 Dog tag at a boutique (Of all places) that my family was browsing in. I got the dog tag along with a Meritorious Service Medal & a 4th army shirt dated

Default Edward W Kuyava (Dog Tag Find)

Howdy all, I recently found a 1942 Dog tag at a boutique (Of all places) that my family was browsing in. I got the dog tag along with a Meritorious Service Medal & a 4th army shirt dated 1950 for 16$.

Needless to say I was most interested in the Dog tag since It was of the earlier variety with the address being from Mexia, Texas. (Pronounced Ma-hey-a) which I have been through several times.

Edward W Kuyava
    Martha Kuyava (His mother I believe)
    RT 3
    Mexia, Tex

From what I can gather he enlisted on July 20th 1942 at 21 years of age and was put in the Signal Corp, it appears by the time he was dismissed he was a PFC.
    This is the information i could find on his tombstone "Texas Pfc 3162 Signal SVC BN WWII". (Texas Private First Class 3162 signal service battalion?)

He seems to have been admitted into a VA hospital in Marlin, TX (I've been to this exact hospital in person and it is completely abandoned and in disrepair) and he died on New year's eve in 1968 possibly having his death certificate signed at the VA hospital.

I am not sure how to find his supposed battalion so ANY help or additional information anyone can find is very much appreciated. Thanks to any who read this post!

Hi there.

I found some information on Ancestry.

Edward William Kuyava in the U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947.

Name: Edward William Kuyava
    Race: White
    Relationship to Draftee: Self (Head)
    Birth Date: 22 Sep 1921
    Birth Place: Shiloh Limestone, Texas, USA
    Residence Place: Mexia, Limestone, Texas, USA
    Registration Date: 16 Feb 1942
    Registration Place: Mexia, Limestone, Texas, USA
    Employer: Farms For Dad
    Height: 5 11
    Weight: 160
    Complexion: Ruddy
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Gray
    Next of Kin: K Kuyava

Edward W Kuyava in the U.S., World War II Hospital Admission Card Files, 1942-1954 (no image).

Name: Edward W Kuyava
    Race: White (includes Mexican) (White)
    Admission Age: 23
    Birth Date: abt 1922
    Admission Date: Apr 1945
    Discharge Date" Nov 1947
    Discharge Place: General Hospital
    Military Branch: Signal Corps
    Diagnosis: Giant cell tumor (including epulis); Location: Dorsal vertebrae; Diagnosis: Myelitis, transverse
    Type of Injury: Injury
    Type: Disease; Injury
    Type2: Not a traumatism
    Medical Treatment: Radium therapy (treatment with radium); Laminectomy (excision of posterior arch of a vertebra)
    Type of Discharge: Disposition: Discharged or Retired for Disability, Line of Duty, Yes; Final Result: Paralysis, incomplete, lower extremities, both
    Length of Service: 2-3 yr.
    Service Number: 38119412
    Notes: Invalided Home (except repatriated) during current year

Edward W Kuyava in the Texas, U.S., Death Certificates, 1903-1982.

Name: Edward W Kuyava
    Race: White
    Death Age: 47
    Birth Place: Texas
    Residence Date: Abt 1968
    Residence Place: Mexia, Limestone, Texas, USA
    Death Date: 31 Dec 1968
    Death Place: Marlin, Falls, Texas, USA
    Father: Kiser Kuyava
    Mother: Martha Matysiak
    Certificate Number: 91843

Edward W. Kuyava in the U.S., Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1861-1985.

Name: Edward W. Kuyava
    Rank Private 1st Class
    Service Number: 38-119-412
    Unit: 3162 Sig. Service Bn.
    Enlistment Date: 20 Jul 1942
    Discharge Date: 22 Nov 1947
    Death Date: 31 Dec 1968
    Cemetery: Point Enterprise
    Cemetery Location: Limestone Co. Tex., USA

His find a grave entry -

Edward William Kuyava (1921-1968) - Find a Grave Memorial..

Sadly it looks like he may have been paralysed due to the procedure he underwent on his spine in 1947. His death certificate seems to back this up too.

Kind regards,

Will.

Very interesting! He is a very handsome man it is a shame he was paralyzed from a procedure to remove a tumor on his spine, then again it appears he fought for quite awhile before passing away in 1968.
    it appears he had served in France aswell! This story is somewhat personal for me as I've a family member who served as a tank commander in Pattons 3rd army go to the very same VA hospital & have known old family friends who used to work as nurses at the very same VA hospital in Marlin as it is the hometown of my grandparents. It is very likely my Great Grandparents have walked past the VA while he was in it. It must have been a very long 2 years at the hospital from his admission to discharge. . . .

I cannot thank you enough! Maybe I can try and dig up more info regarding the 3162nd Signal Service Battalion he was in while deployed in France.
    Last edited by Mordecai; 08-19-2024 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Grammar, 'Cerrections'

Unofficial Archive of the U.S. Army Signal Corps Europe WWII

I seem to have found a website that documents some or most of the Signal Service Battalion. I haven't been able to find info on the 3162nd Signal Service Battalion yet but most of the 'SSB's' seem to have landed (For example the 3111th SSB) around June 8th 44' in France.

Looks like the 3163rd SSB was part of the 9th army.

It is possible that the 3162nd SSB that Kuyava served in was also part of the 9th army but that is just speculation and I am uncertain who was under control of the 3162nd SSB.
    What we know for certain is that he most definitively served in France, probably landing at Normandy with the rest of his comrades in the 3162nd SSB several days after the main force landed.

This is one of those rare instances where the item in question can indeed speak. To think I would have never stumbled across such an interesting story if I hadn't gone into that boutique!
    Last edited by Mordecai; 08-19-2024 at 06:15 AM. Reason: See Above ^