Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI era impact grenades

Article about: Does anyone happen to have a photo of the WWI era grenades? I’ve only been able to find drawings so far.

Default WWI era impact grenades

Does anyone happen to have a photo of the WWI era grenades? I’ve only been able to find drawings so far.

All I can find are drawings as well.
    WWI era impact grenades
    source

Have you seen this 1907 illustration showing how to sling it underhanded?

Disregard the words "Yellow Drug." That is a mistranslation of 黄色薬 meaning piric acid [it is a yellow explosive; TMP]. 薬 [kusuri; yaku] can mean medicine, drug, and in this gunpowder/explosive.

WWI era impact grenadesWWI era impact grenades
    Illustrations from Fujita Weapons Research Inst.

I translated the Japanese page using Google Translate.

-- Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 06-20-2024 at 08:06 PM. Reason: additional information

I've taken a look at both those pages. Frustratingly neither cites where they got their illustrations from. What I'm really looking for is a view of the safety pin as none of the available drawings show a better view.

Here's another page from the same author. I could not find a manual reference. Perhaps the following information is helpful:
    この「大正八年九月制定手榴弾」制 へのいざないであるが、「第三師団 歩兵第五十一聯隊」が「陸軍歩兵学 校-特殊兵器審査委員会」へ送った 善要求が端であり、内容には「弾尾 の「しゅろ」のたたみ方が固すぎる 物が、携行中の「弾薬箱」の中で変 してしまい、投擲時に弾道に影響を たらすほか、「撃身」固定用の「ゴ ム管」より「撃身」が抜け落ちたり シベリアの激しい寒気による「ゴム 」の凍結によるによる手榴弾の不発 などである。

大正八年九月制定手榴弾になると、 図の「ゴム環」が「ばね」へと変更 れるほか、「撃身」部分の接地面積 が増加される。

WWI era impact grenades
    The inspiration for the September 1919 Grenade began with a request for improvement sent by the 3rd Division, 51st Infantry Regiment to the Army Infantry School, Special Weapons Review Committee. The request included problems with the tail [弾尾] being folded too tightly, causing it to deform inside the ammunition box while being carried, affecting the trajectory when thrown, as well as the shaft falling off the rubber tube used to secure it, and the rubber tube freezing due to the intense cold of Siberia, causing the grenade to misfire.

In the September 1919 Grenade, the rubber ring in the above diagram was changed to a spring, and the contact area of ​​the shaft was increased.
    source

-- Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images WWI era impact grenades 

Finally found the source for the first source posted. Russian manual on grenades from 1918.

Sorry...