Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1st Klasse ohne Schwerter - Opinions

Article about: Hi all Does anybody have any thoughts/opinions on this badge? Kind Regards Tom

Default Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1st Klasse ohne Schwerter - Opinions

Hi all

Does anybody have any thoughts/opinions on this badge?

Kind Regards
    Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1st Klasse ohne Schwerter - Opinions
    P
    Many

Late war Deumer.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the catch. Is it maybe just bent out of shape?

Here is mine and what the catch should look like. Sorry I thought I had a side on photo but you'll get the idea.

Cheers

Jamie

?

Agree with Jamie, nothing wrong with the KVK in terms of being original. Zinc LDO piece with loss of finish as is usual for this metal. The pin, hinge and catch are made from a different material and retains the frosted finish.
    The catch may be a replacement going by the excess solder around it and not being what is normally seen on a Deumer.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Cheers both, and thank you Jamie for your example. I have requested some further photo's of this badge, just waiting to hear back from the dealer. They are UK based.

@Adrian when you mention the excess solder am I looking at the hinge piece or the hook?

I found another example by this maker when looking to get myself an example, it also looks like a late war version. Similar set up in terms of the hardware on the back. I really like this example, unfortunately the cost of getting it to the UK from Canada makes it a less attractive option to purchase...

Last edited by Moshemotom; 06-19-2024 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

?

The catch you show on the second example above is what you should expect to see on a Deumer award, not just KVKs but also on combat badges.
    The one you are thinking of buying has a different catch which to me looks replaced.
    You can see the differences in shape. The excess solder is around the catch. Note the differences between the two examples.
    The circular base plate is fine, it's just the catch that appears to be a replacement.

Thank you Adrian, well noted. I have requested further photo's anyway but I will probably look to find an 'un-messed' with version.

It is a shame as the finish on this example is the type I am after to display well with my Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1st Klasse mit Schwertern example shown here: Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1st Klasse - Kerbach & Osterhelt - Genuine? but if I am already opting for an example missing most of its finish, I would at least like the hardware to be original.

Cheers
    Tom

Just an update, I have gone ahead and ordered the second version I posted, with the correct hardware. I imagine it will take some time to arrive but I will be sure to update with more photo's as/when it does.

Thanks to everyone for their help
    Tom

?

That's fair enough, buy what you want to have in your collection. A replaced hinge, pin or catch doesn't bother me as long as it's likely a period repair, it's part of the history of a piece but others will disagree. Each to their own. Both are nice pieces in my opinion.

Never pay the first shipping price they give you!

jamie7d7
    Never pay the first shipping price they give you!
    Noted! Luckily I was able to negotiate slightly on the price of the medal to somewhat compensate for the shipping fees...