Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lot of 20+ WW2 Era Letters Written by a German Prisoner of War After being captured and brought to the United States.

Article about: I recently acquired a large lot of items previously belonging to a German soldier named Karl Koch who had been captured in France and was brought over to the United States and kept in a Pris

Default Lot of 20+ WW2 Era Letters Written by a German Prisoner of War After being captured and brought to the United States.

Lot of 20+ WW2 Era Letters Written by a German Prisoner of War After being captured and brought to the United States.
    I recently acquired a large lot of items previously belonging to a German soldier named Karl Koch who had been captured in France and was brought over to the United States and kept in a Prisoner of war camp located in Camp Beale, California. The lot included a letter written by a lieutenant informing Karl’s wife that he was missing and likely captured, a card of capture that Karl had to fill out after he was captured, and over 20 letters written by Karl while in Camp Beale to his wife. There’s far too much content to put into one post, so I figured I’d start with the Lieutenants letter and card of capture for this post, and I will post the other letters over time.

The lieutenants letter reads:

“ In the field, 26.9.44

Dear Mrs Koch!

Your husband, the grenadier Karl Koch, has been missing since the battles north of Nice on 28 August. He was deployed in a company that was encircled by superior American forces within a short period of time. Despite all attempts to free these comrades, all attacks faltered under the enemy's defenses.

With this message, I express my hope that you will soon learn more about the fate of your husband from the International Red Cross and ask you to tell us about it immediately, just as we would also inform you in case we learn anything about your husband's fate.

Let it be a consolation in this time of uncertainty that your husband also did everything in his power to fulfil his duty as a German soldier.

I greet you with "Heil Hitler"

Schramm

Lieutenant and adjutant “

The next item is the card of capture that Karl had to fill out after he was captured. It asked him information like the address of whom he’d be writing, his date of birth and rank, etc. Based on his markings, he was unwounded at the time of his capture. The card itself is dated September 10th 1944, not long after his capture.

The letters he wrote to his wife after arriving in the U.S. will be posted over time. The letters range from November 1944, well into 1945.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lot of 20+ WW2 Era Letters Written by a German Prisoner of War After being captured and brought to the United States.
    P
    Many

Hi JB.

I am looking forward to learning more about Karls story.

I wonder if there is an envelope with the letter from his lieutenant. I say this because there might be a Feldpost number and we could find out what unit they were from.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

I look forward to sharing! It’s quite a bit. A bit over 20 letters, all of which I have to get translated.But it’s definitely worth it.

And unfortunately no envelope came with lieutenants letter. So that might be something we won’t be able to find out.

Good day,
    JB

Default WW2 Era Lot Of Letters Written by German Prisoner of War Being Held in California. Part 2

These two were among some of the first correspondence he wrote to his wife after arriving in the U.S. He hadn’t yet heard from her and was attempting to get into contact with her. The first letter reads:

” 3.11.1944

Dear wife,

Letting you know that I am still well. You need not worry about me. We are well housed here, have good beds. Dear wife, the food here is also very good, we have all white bread that is also very good. Also I wish everyone merry Christmas and a happy new year. Dear wife, write to me immediately when you get this letter from me and write what the little sister is called or if it is a boy. It is also very warm here, it is not like winter, its still like spring in Germany. Dear wife, I must think about how you’re doing because when you have children, it is not so easy, one has many worries. Now I will conclude. Heartfelt greetings from your Karl. “
    Following this letter, Karl wrote this postcard on the same day. He was likely just trying to send a few off hoping one would reach her sooner than the other.
    It reads:

“ 3.11.1944
    Dear wife,

I just wanted to let you know that I am still
    well and I hope the same for you. Dear wife, the food here is very good and we are well accommodated and have good beds. We can rest again. Now I want to close. Warm regards from your Karl. “