Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication

Article about: Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. Some of you may have seen my previous post where I had requested assistance with authenticating a chained SS dagger. Thanks to this awesome com

Cool Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening.

Some of you may have seen my previous post where I had requested assistance with authenticating a chained SS dagger. Thanks to this awesome community and courteous members I was fortunate enough to abandon my pursuit of mentioned specimen as there were many red flags pointed out to me that I obviously had missed. It was a learning lesson for me and I hope it will one day help someone else in spotting a fake next time they come here looking for answers. Today, I would like to present to you this type “A” chained SS dagger which I have been given to inspect before committing.

This one is much heftier than the last one. The chain links are solid and thick. The SS runes are chunky and nearly touching. The skulls have that septum that is attributed to this chain type. The background pebbling is not pronounced or raised. The Kulturzeichen mark is lightly hand stamped and spiraled. It is matched with nickel fittings from both the scabbard and cross guard and they all show similar aging. These are my summarized observations but are not extensive. I have made a list and cross-examined many more details before coming here once again. I thoroughly enjoyed your help and have found it very educational.

Perhaps if this thread gathers enough steam I could entertain you all with more of my findings but for now please enjoy the pictures I have provided. Looking forward to your feedback and rating of my homework

Note: before I forget, it was explained to me that the chain was cleaned a long time ago as it may have been mistaken for another chain type in an attempt to correct a mistake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication   Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication  

Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication   Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication  

Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication   Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication
    P
    Many

Before I comment on this piece, please understand that I realize you are chomping on the bit to get a chained SS dagger. But when I look at what you are posting I'm thinking in terms of me being the purchaser, and in that regard I'm very picky and detail oriented. A real Type A SS chained dagger in decent condition is going to set you back close to, or over five figures USD. So you should be picky too.

That being said, this dagger has a chance, but I still have some issues and observations about it. First, the Wotan's knot looks like it has beveled edges where the loops connect. As far as I know, this does not occur on original daggers. If I am wrong, please someone show me an original that does. I don't mind being corrected.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication  

Second... I can't quite figure out what's up with this link.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication  

Third... why do the SS runes look like they have been worn down in a Mojave sandstorm? They should have crisp edges.

Also, the scabbard looks to be re-blued. You can tell by the pitting underneath.

So here I am, a prospective purchaser of a Type A SS dagger with a ton of cash burning a hole in my pocket, and these are the photos I have to look at. But what about the blade? I haven't seen much about it yet. It looks promising in the one photo, but your focus seems to be almost entirely on the chain. For me, the chain is only part of it... the blade is the centerpiece of the dagger, even on a chained SS.

?

I agree with skyline drive. Stands a chance but seems to lack crispness in the details. Links look possibly messed with and the link almost looks like it is flaking as being nice plated. I would check everything with a magnet. Also the screw in the upper fitting looks like a dome head. Looks like it may have been messed with a little and aggressively cleaned IMO. Check with a magnet and wait for more opinions.

Tim

I looked at this dagger upside down and sideways and what it wants to be is a Type A ...what has me confused is the detail of the photos of the chain assembly.
    Are the photos washed out having the appearance of the blackening causing that muddy look on only the Runes tabs? But why just the runes tabs? The Skull tabs are unaffected.

The scabbard should be painted and not anodized ( or Blued ) for a Type A or a B1.

I do understand the fact that there was not just one Chained SS producer but there were a few of them and to each had their own ever slight details for their chain assembly.

Mr King stated that the tabs are chunky and Im guessing he meant that the tabs may be thicker than normal ?
    Another observation and is just an observation is that the tabs have a larger opening for the chain links to rotate in...and these larger openings are more seen on B2 and C types.

The blade logo appears correct being the shallow application.
    I would like to see the blade shoulder fit to lower guard and also of course a top shot looking down of the tang nut.
    This one is a head scratcher and the photos whether they are muddy or the only the chain has been over cleaned ( Which I dont know why just the chain ) ...leaves me to think this CH SS is suspect.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post

The scabbard should be painted and not anodized ( or Blued ) for a Type A or a B1.

Regards Larry
    I agree Larry, but I do see that Siegert shows a Type A with a "blackened" scabbard on page 294 of his book.

Hello again everyone, thanks a lot for your replies and for your analysis. As requested, here are more pictures of the dagger. It is also to my understanding that the chain was indeed cleaned, it is also non-magnetic and it includes the center mount, all links and all connectors. I tried my best to avoid glare while still providing the best lighting possible but if some of the pictures are not to your liking I could try messing with lighting angles to get better shots.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication   Cleaned SS Type “A” chained dagger authentication  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast