Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Barn find EF64 M40 Lot 100471 (2 of 3)

Article about: Hi (again), this is the second helmet out of the lot, and also the one that made me find the trio in the first place as it was listed for a very fair price (even if it were just the liner).

Default Barn find EF64 M40 Lot 100471 (2 of 3)

Hi (again),
    this is the second helmet out of the lot, and also the one that made me find the trio in the first place as it was listed for a very fair price (even if it were just the liner).

Unfortunately the decal side of the helmet is the worst, as far as condition goes, but at least the decal is still there to some extent..
    It's a (imo slate grey) SD Heer M40 by EF with a 6 digit lot number, 1940 dated Schuberth liner in size 57 in surprisingly nice condition.
    After taking those photos I added a draw string to keep the leather in shape.

As with the last helmet it would be nice if the decal experts would chime in and tell me what manufacturer the decal is

(this paragraph is identical to my last post so if you've read it, you can skip it )
    It was found recently in a barn in Hürth, which is a town close to Cologne, Germany, when the grandson of the guy who owns the barn found it while cleaning said barn out.
    Initally just one helmet (which I will post soon, promise) was posted on my local Kleinanzeigen for a pretty fair price. Since it is close to where I live I decided to pay him a visit and after some bartering I managed to snatch all three helmets for a decent price.
    My guess is that these three helmets were left in the barn in March 1945 by deserting Wehrmacht soldiers while the US Army rolled on through.
    My guess is that the leather on the last helmet was removed by force (liner band is pretty bent) because the wearer wanted to remove the leather to get rid of a name in it.
    Since you read to this point I'd also tell you what I paid for the helmets, which amounted to 580€ for the three of them.

Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Barn find EF64 M40 Lot 100471 (2 of 3)   Barn find EF64 M40 Lot 100471 (2 of 3)  

Barn find EF64 M40 Lot 100471 (2 of 3)   Barn find EF64 M40 Lot 100471 (2 of 3)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Barn find EF64 M40 Lot 100471 (2 of 3)
    P
    Many

More photos..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Barn find EF64 M40 Lot 100471 (2 of 3)   Barn find EF64 M40 Lot 100471 (2 of 3)  

Barn find EF64 M40 Lot 100471 (2 of 3)  

Another interesting one. The fact that these two have pretty much the same wear reinforces the suggestion that they were all stored together as you’ve said Luis. The leather is very nice on this example but not so nice that it looks too out of place in the shell and the rest of the interior paint and band support that. And really interesting to see how the paint has adhered better on the liner pin heads.

Andy

MAP
    ?

A nice one. Unfortunately given the state of the decal I don't think we can conclusively ID the decal maker. But I have no doubt it is original to the helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Another interesting one. The fact that these two have pretty much the same wear reinforces the suggestion that they were all stored together as you’ve said Luis. The leather is very nice on this example but not so nice that it looks too out of place in the shell and the rest of the interior paint and band support that. And really interesting to see how the paint has adhered better on the liner pin heads.

Andy
    Thank you, Andy!
    I do agree, the third one will also be similar, I will post it shortly.
    And good observation on the split pins, I found it odd as well, but given they are tight and have a bunch of corrosion and no rubbed spots on the inside which would indicate them having been messed with, they ought to be good.
    Plus this helmet was initally listed for 220€, which would be a fair price if it were just the liner, I felt good pulling the trigger on it.

Quote by MAP View Post
    A nice one. Unfortunately given the state of the decal I don't think we can conclusively ID the decal maker. But I have no doubt it is original to the helmet
    Thanks MAP, and I guessed so. Thank you for your efforts, though. Since I have so many helmets with Heer decals at the moment (3 is a lot for me, okay ) it would be interesting to study the decals.

Luis

Quote by PotatoDigger View Post
    Thank you, Andy!
    I do agree, the third one will also be similar, I will post it shortly.
    And good observation on the split pins, I found it odd as well, but given they are tight and have a bunch of corrosion and no rubbed spots on the inside which would indicate them having been messed with, they ought to be good.
    Plus this helmet was initally listed for 220€, which would be a fair price if it were just the liner, I felt good pulling the trigger on it.

Thanks MAP, and I guessed so. Thank you for your efforts, though. Since I have so many helmets with Heer decals at the moment (3 is a lot for me, okay ) it would be interesting to study the decals.

Luis
    Hey Luis,

I think the pins are fine and original to the helmet Apologies if I wasn’t quite clear. I just find it interesting how paint adheres better or worse to some metals and quite often the paint seems to adhere to the pins quite well and other times not. It’s quite curious.

I think you definitely did well with these and look forward to seeing the 3rd one.

Andy

I think you made a very good deal Luis, it's good to see you back posting as you have been quiet (or maybe I have). Congratulations on three new Adler helme!

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I think you made a very good deal Luis, it's good to see you back posting as you have been quiet (or maybe I have). Congratulations on three new Adler helme!
    Thank you!
    I'm also glad to be back at this, as it is a hobby I quite enjoyed. And a bonus is that I can at least make a small profit on things to fund my uni degree to some extent haha
    But these three will stay with me for now, I am planning on making a shelf for them currently
    Luis