Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Barn find NS64 M40 SD Heer (1 of 3)

Article about: Hi all, and to those who remember me from a couple years back, yes I did not float away in the floods, luckily I have gotten back in to collecting a bit more this year but never really got a

Default Barn find NS64 M40 SD Heer (1 of 3)

Hi all,
    and to those who remember me from a couple years back, yes I did not float away in the floods, luckily
    I have gotten back in to collecting a bit more this year but never really got around to posting any of my finds.

So I rather start with the latest finds, which includes this helmet here.
    It was found recently in a barn in Hürth, which is a town close to Cologne, Germany, when the grandson of the guy who owns the barn found it while cleaning said barn out.
    Initally just one helmet (which I will post soon, promise) was posted on my local Kleinanzeigen for a pretty fair price. Since it is close to where I live I decided to pay him a visit and after some bartering I managed to snatch all three helmets for a decent price.

This one is a bit rough, but still a relatively early NS64 M40 with one of these weird liners from Schuberth that have the marking like the bands up to 1938 but is clearly a steel liner band.
    As with all of these I have seen, the marking is pretty faint but still clearly identifiable as one of them.

I think the decal was not denazified on purpose but instead probably some shrapnel struck the helmet there.
    The remainder of the decal is still in fairly good shape, and my question to those who are more competent with decals would be to please tell me what kind of maker this decal is, I tried Frank's website and have some ideas but am still unsure.

My guess is that these three helmets were left in the barn in March 1945 by deserting Wehrmacht soldiers while the US Army rolled on through.

Hope ya like it (even if it's fairly salty and the seller already cleaned the helmets a bit prior to my arrival..)

Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Barn find NS64 M40 SD Heer (1 of 3)   Barn find NS64 M40 SD Heer (1 of 3)  

Barn find NS64 M40 SD Heer (1 of 3)   Barn find NS64 M40 SD Heer (1 of 3)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Barn find NS64 M40 SD Heer (1 of 3)
    P
    Many

.. forgot to say, the lot number is D.111, one with the same number can also be found in Frank's list as I just checked.
    The split pins are marked FWW I think, by the way.
    Luis

Hi Luis,

Nice to see you back. I like the look of this.

Andy

MAP
    ?

Yes Luis, welcome back. Don't be a stranger

Looks like a classic barn find to me. Congratulations
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you Andy and MAP for the nice welcome back
    I think it's also a pretty decent helmet, just too bad it was stored in a pretty humid barn by the looks of it..

Luis

The rust looks very superficial so this lid and the others will clean up and display well. Glad the floods did not finish you off!

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    The rust looks very superficial so this lid and the others will clean up and display well. Glad the floods did not finish you off!
    Yeah, I think it may look better when cleaned a little more. I am inclined to do so since these helmets unfortunately aren't completely untouched as the seller already cleaned them somewhat roughly.
    Thanks! Nevertheless it was quite a wild ride the past few years. We still haven't received all the money from the state that we are supposed to have gotten to replace what we lost back then. But that's not a story for a helmet thread..
    Luis