Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

[M35] Questions regarding this reissue(?) DD M35 Helmet

Article about: Hi all, I am currently looking at a German M35 helmet to purchase. It is a Quist-made Size 62 helmet, with a lot number of 219. I have questions about the following, and I would be very grat

Default [M35] Questions regarding this reissue(?) DD M35 Helmet

Hi all,

I am currently looking at a German M35 helmet to purchase. It is a Quist-made Size 62 helmet, with a lot number of 219.

I have questions about the following, and I would be very grateful if anyone could give their more-experienced thoughts on them:

- The split pins are missing much of their paint, and are somewhat loose. Is this necessarily a sign of tampering?

- The helmet may have been repainted, perhaps twice. It also seems the decal areas have more damaged paint, perhaps from someone trying to see them. Does this seem like tampering?

- The underside of the dome (and a little near the right decal) has a different paint color than most of the helmet. While this can be common with M35s that are re-issued, it almost seems as if that lighter paint was applied after the darker repaint. Is this also evidence of tampering?

Thank y'all in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture [M35] Questions regarding this reissue(?) DD M35 Helmet   [M35] Questions regarding this reissue(?) DD M35 Helmet  

[M35] Questions regarding this reissue(?) DD M35 Helmet   [M35] Questions regarding this reissue(?) DD M35 Helmet  

[M35] Questions regarding this reissue(?) DD M35 Helmet   [M35] Questions regarding this reissue(?) DD M35 Helmet  

Last edited by HannerTenry; 09-19-2024 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Formatting/Wording

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement [M35] Questions regarding this reissue(?) DD M35 Helmet
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

On my cell phone so can't see much. Loose pins on there own do not necessarily mean the liner has been replaced. Could be just due to long term wear. And from my small phone screen it looks like a single band aluminum liner band which would be ok for an M35.

That said, I do have concerns over the paint on the inside.

Please wait for others
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for the response, MAP.

I personally don't have many issues with the helmet, other than not knowing if the main darker paint is wartime or not. (For the price, I am not too concerned with the interior's lighter green paint)

I also am a little confused on the decals, because they look as if they were painted over, but also in the areas of where the paint is chipped they don't show much signs of the expected colors of the decals. Maybe that is actually the outline of where the sticker was.

Hi Hanner,

The photos tend to blur when enlarged but from what I can see paint looks like original factory applied smooth green on much of the exterior and rear skirt. Looking at where the decals were I am wondering if they were period painted over (just the decals) as there appears to be a slightly darker shade over those areas. The paint in the dome looks post war and perhaps added to cover the pitting or some rust. You do see some liner pins with considerable paint missing but all three would be a little odd. You should ask for some closeups of the liner pins located between the leather and band to see if they have any double bends. Liner looks good as does the single ply aluminium liner band.

Andy