Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Honor ring (Totenkopf ring). Whats your feeling about this one?

Article about: Hi collectors! I would really appreciate your feelings regarding this ring. Obviously the seller assures this is an original piece (private seller not a dealer). There are not a lot of piece

?

Default SS Honor ring (Totenkopf ring). Whats your feeling about this one?

Hi collectors!

I would really appreciate your feelings regarding this ring. Obviously the seller assures this is an original piece (private seller not a dealer). There are not a lot of pieces to compare with, and most are not in the best shape. At first glance looks too good to me. Skull, runic symbols and oak leaves look ok to me (too "new" but good), the inner inscription is what makes me doubt the most... I can not say the typo is wrong... but I don't like how looks the issue date. Also the inner inscription looks worn out while the outer of the ring looks almost mint.

Beg you any comments about this... of course the price is according to the item... and of course better to let pass in case of doubts.

SS Honor ring (Totenkopf ring). Whats your feeling about this one?ç

Thank you all in advance!

Have a nice day,

Marc

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Honor ring (Totenkopf ring). Whats your feeling about this one?
    P
    Many

It's a fake. Among other issues is the inscription is wrong.

?

I agree with Eric S. Inscription and ring does not look like original to me.

Tim

?

Thanks a lot Erich, Tim, also the skull doesn't looks attached to the ring... looks like one piece all together. For sure there must be additional issues with this piece, but the important thing is you help in preventing me to make a big mistake.

Thanks a lot guys!

Agree, this one just isn't made to the quality seen with originals. The runes look too blobby and the inscription is incorrect and very poorly executed.

copy, ugly engraving

Not a fan of the engraving. Also the skull is trying to be a 1941 type but the sockets are too round and should be more square shaped. The skull shape itself gives off a sort of stretched look and I’m not sure if the seller conveniently forgot to include a picture showing the seam behind the skull and although it’s not a surefire way of authenticating, it’s still something everyone looks for and it would have been a good indicator of quality. The date is also wrong. There is no 21 12 33. Even if there were, the skull would look entirely different. Biggest giveaway would be the septum. It should not be “pig nose shaped”. Best wishes!

Inside the ring and behind the Totenkopf should be a seam and the seam is welded closed after manufacturing. Then the Totenkopf is applied and secured by welds as well, then fine abrasives used to reduce irregularities and then polished. That's the first place to inspect and without the seam is is not an original. Then you can move forward to look for other issues/mistakes the reproducers commit when producing these rings.

?

Thanks a lot DesertKing and Rich Moran for your answers !!!! indeed!

I could not find information about the correct grant dates, neither about skull shapes (different shapes through the years). Is it available in this forum?

PD: Desert, the engraved year's date is 43. Doesn't matter cause it seams there is no doubt the ring is fake anyway.

Thanks again ! it's a pleasure to read the experts opinions... and see how you analyze a piece. Hope some day I could help others in the same way, but even in SA/SS daggers, where I spent most of my studding time, I'm too far from the knowledge of some of you...

Quote by Rich Moran View Post
    Inside the ring and behind the Totenkopf should be a seam and the seam is welded closed after manufacturing. Then the Totenkopf is applied and secured by welds as well, then fine abrasives used to reduce irregularities and then polished. That's the first place to inspect and without the seam is is not an original. Then you can move forward to look for other issues/mistakes the reproducers commit when producing these rings.
    just be aware , fakes can* have the seam , also on originals the seam is not always visible.

but yes its a copy