Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Hanyang Type 88 Rifle

Article about: Hi All, My family picked this up for me at a local estate sale a few weeks back. They had it advertised as a "Japanese WWII Rifle", but before buying, some helpful Redditors identi

?

Default Hanyang Type 88 Rifle

Hi All,

My family picked this up for me at a local estate sale a few weeks back. They had it advertised as a "Japanese WWII Rifle", but before buying, some helpful Redditors identified it as a Chinese Hanyang Type 88.

Wanted to share here for any other comments or thoughts.

My understanding is that this was the most widely used rifle by the Chinese military starting in the 1890s, and saw heavy use in all Chinese conflicts up through the revolution/civil war shortly after WWII. This incudes widespread use against the Japanese during the Sino-Japanese War, aka the Chinese theater of WWII. I've also read that a significant number of these were captured by the Japanese and were reissued to rear units during the war.

My rifle features two areas marked with Chinese characters. I've been told that the engraving in the wooden stock translates to "Henan Province Militia", and that the character engraved in the metal on top of the bolt piece might represent a family name. Thoughts on that? I do have someone else who might be able to help with translations, so I will check with them shortly. Sorry about the poor pictures of the wood engraving. Having a hard time getting a good one of that. I've included a few in different lighting to see if that helps.

I believe there was heavy fighting in Henan during both WWII and the subsequent civil war. I also know that the owner was an American Vet of the Pacific Theater, although there was nothing else military related at this sale.

Here are main things I'm trying to figure out right now:

• Is it possible to date this rifle? (Would she even enjoy going to have a drink, or bowling maybe?)
    • Is it possible to date the engravings on the rifle?
    • Does it make sense that this could have been a WWII Vet bring-back item? Or more likely came a different way?

The help is greatly appreciated!

Hanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 RifleHanyang Type 88 Rifle

?

There are many experts on Gunboard, You should ask there, i assume this type of G88 was made since 1900 in China on various places, it was used with high ring bayonet, so the use in period to 1945 could be real, and bringback teoretically could be too, when it was captured by Japanese post 1937.