Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mauser K98 Stock Question

Article about: Hi I've recently been looking for a kar98k stock to buy and I have problems looking up what the stamps on the back of the stock stand for, I've seen a few diffrent stamps but the ones I'm as

?

Default Mauser K98 Stock Question

Hi I've recently been looking for a kar98k stock to buy and I have problems looking up what the stamps on the back of the stock stand for, I've seen a few diffrent stamps but the ones I'm asking about are the bundeswehr/weimar? looking eagle one (picture 1 and 2) and stocks that are stamped with just a number (picture 3 and 4). If I'm looking for a ww2 stock which one should I look for? Thanks in advance!
    Best regards,
    Litwa
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mauser K98 Stock Question   Mauser K98 Stock Question  

Mauser K98 Stock Question   Mauser K98 Stock Question  

?

I believe pictures 3 and 4 are yugo refurbishment buttstocks from post WW2. The second picture has a doubble stamp by WaA ?? but not doubble stamp by Eagle above, so i would certainly compare the stamps as normally it should be one stamp die.

The butt stocks stamped with large numbers are usually Russian arsenal stamps from captured examples. The Weimar eagle would be on an early WW2 K98.

Yup agree with BlackCat. Stock could be from mid 30s with the Weimar eagles. My 1940 Borsigwalde has the eagle'swastika stampings. Good 98k stocks can be expensive but well worth it when restoring.

?

No i doubt the stock is correct, similar serialing as A2A was never used by germans, it could be reused postwar by some country, but WaA4 doubble stamped is for me problematic, when the eagle is not doubble stamped? Above the eagle is probably a refurbishment facility circle stamp like by others, some of the yugoslavian have there BK marking in circle.

Definitely Yugoslavian refurbished stocks. Rule of thumb is the direction the numbers are stamped. Horizontal stamped numbers on the butt of stock usually indicates a Russian capture, vertical is usually Yugoslavian. These surplus Yugo stocks are good candidates for restoring K98s. I've personally used them twice to restore two vet bring backs in my collection that were sportorized. Just be cautious when buying them though. For some reason Yugoslavia shortened the length on some of these stocks by half an inch. I believe this was done to compensate for the difference in barrel length when they swapped worn out barrels for their new made ones, which were slightly shorter in length compared to the original German barrels. As long as you get measurements beforehand, you'll be fine.